If you want a reason to justify what you are doing or, perhaps more importantly, what you are not doing, here are some excuses that might just do the trick.
- If it is worth doing it is worth doing right, or not doing at all.
- I don’t have the time.
- It’s not that I’m a procrastinator, I just work better under pressure.
All of these excuses and others just like them exonerate us from taking responsibility. They give us a scapegoat or a reason, they transfer the guilt to someone else, and ultimately leave us powerless.
According to Camilo Cruz in Once Upon a Cow
, there are three things that we know for certain about excuses:
- If you really want to find an excuse for something, you will find it. There is never the loss for an excuse when you need it. They lurk in the shadows waiting for an opportunity to present themselves. Once you use an excuse you will stick with it as long as works for you.
- Once you starting using an excuse you will undoubtedly find allies. You will find others that will believe the excuse and our willing to share a similar experience using the same excuse. You may hear something from these collusion partners like ‘I agree, that happens to me too’.
- Using an excuse doesn’t really change anything. You are in same place you were before. You are giving yourself permission to remain the same. If you consistently use the same excuse – you will actually start to believe it and it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
If you are no longer satisfied with the status quo and want to accomplish even more either personally or professionally then put the kibosh on excuses. Liberate yourself from the typical arsenal of excuses…take them out of your life.
YOUR CHALLENGE: Find the excuses in your life that are holding you back and start eliminating them from your life.
If you would like further information or you have any questions about this blog, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 847-739-3079.
Please visit www.workingonthebusiness.com to register for our complimentary workshop, 6 Steps to a Great Business, and let’s work together to help your business grow.