Life is a classroom. Only those willing to be lifelong learners will move to the head of the class. – Zig Ziglar
One of the best ways to retain your employees is helping them be successful and reach their potential. Training, coaching and mentoring, with yourself or with more experienced employees, fosters growth in newer or new-to-workforce employees.
Learning builds confidence and skills, resulting in better performance. The better your employees perform, the more valuable they will be to you. And, when employees understand you’ve invested in their growth, they feel more valued, engaged and happier working for you.
Training, coaching and mentoring can take many forms, but they should always be authentic experiences and provide real value to your employees and to your business. Focus on these three areas to reinforce personal development at work.
Create a culture of continuous learning
- Encourage exploration and experimentation
- Invite experienced employees or outside guests to provide “lunch and learn” talks
- Plan an in-house workshop for an immersive learning experience on a specific topic that may be new or undergoing change as it relates to your business
- Provide a learning space in the work setting and consider setting up a reference library with books about succeeding in areas of business relevant to your employees
- Share articles from print publications or online sources about trends in your industry
Offer on-the-job training
- Create a formalized onboarding process and materials that focus on role-specific training
- Invest in self-directed training courses and materials specific to your business
- Purchase a company subscription to an e-learning platform like LinkedIN Learning, Skillshare, Udemy or Coursera
- Research industry associations that offer online learning experiences
- Keep motivation high with public recognition of achievement milestones
Provide individualized support
- Schedule regular one-on-one coaching and mentoring sessions that focus on the employee’s path towards advancement
- Provide training to senior employees so they can become effective peer coaches or mentors
Although you may have great employees, there’s always room for improvement, and offering personal development can help you retain your top performers.
I can help you build a robust employee development program. Connect with me to get started now.
I can help you get the business you deserve. Drop me an email for a complimentary consultation.